kishawhite

The Duke's Match Girl - A Fiery Tale Novella
Lila DiPasqua
Progress: 20 %

Beacon Hills High

Beacon Hills High: A Novel - Mo'Nique, Sherri McGee McCovey I simutaneously skimmed and read this entire book in about 90-minutes. Beacon Hills High is an ambitious book as it tackles eating disorders, adoption, drug use, unsafe sex, self-image, colorism, and self acceptance. I applaud Mo'Nique and her co-author for writing a highly readable and positive novel for teens. It's a mix of Gossip Girl, Rainbow Boys, the Kimani Tru titles, and Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul. Anyone who reads it will instantly feel better about being different. However, as a fan of Mo'Nique, I found Beacon Hills High a little boring. If you're read Mo'Nique's autobiographical Skinny Women Are Evil or seen Mo'Nique's F.A.T Chance reality show or seen her movie Phat Girlz, you already know some of the stories and themes written about in BHH.

Mo'Nique feels women with strong and loving father figures will produce self-loving daughters. Society's definition of beauty is limited. A majority of American women wear above a size 14, but a majority of the beautiful clothes are geared towards those who are in the single digits. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Now, don't get me wrong. As a size 20W, I'm with Mo'Nique every step of the way in her criticisms but I've heard it all before. This book is really for those new to our the U.S.' fat bias.

The book was written as though it may become a series, and I hope so because I found Eboni, the lead character, to be fun, strong and positive. She has a strong relationship with God, but isn't judgmental or going through the world wearing rose-colored glasses.